2018 choral composition competition
The 2018 Composition Competition is now closed. Thank you for your interest! We received over 100 entries from composers all over the country. The winner of this year's contest will be posted here in April.
The 18th Street Singers are excited to announce our second Choral Composition Competition. The winner will receive a grand prize of $1,500 as well as travel and lodging for our June 16 & 17, 2018 concert in Washington, DC at which the winning composition will be performed.
All composers are welcome and submissions will be judged anonymously; however we especially encourage entries from composers who identify as female, LGBTQIA+, a Person of Color, or a member of any other under-represented group.
Overview of Contest Rules:
- Composers of any age and nationality who currently live in the United States are invited to submit an original, unperformed work composed in any style, for SATB a cappella mixed choir, not exceeding 6 minutes.
- Submissions will be judged anonymously; works submitted with identifying marks will not be considered.
- Works must not have been published or previously performed in public
- Works submitted should have been composed within the last 7 years.
- Works may be in any language.
Interested in throwing your hat into the ring? Electronic submissions were due by March 15, 2018. The winner will be announced on or around April 4, 2018!